When: August 22nd, 2019
Where: FIDM-Campus L.A. (Address: 919 So. Grand Ave. 90015 Room: TBD)
Time: 6:30pm - 9:00pm (PST) (2 1/2h total)
Cost: Alumni $35 and $45 Guests.
Parking is located at FIDM or surrounding parking lots.
This class requires you to have Adobe Photoshop CC - 2017 or later. This free tool is not available in earlier versions.
Adobe Textile Designer is a powerful brand new plugin for Photoshop that is changing the workflow of digital textile designers everywhere. Create repeats and communicate colors for production with a lot less hassle than ever before. Still in beta-mode now is the perfect time to learn this tool and get ahead of the curve. Photoshop has always been the best way to combine traditional media (watercolor/ gouache) with digital media, but creating seamless patterns used to require calculations. Any tweaking of the repeat resulted in frustrating fixes. This new extension will no longer require those lengthy steps and calculations.
Once you complete the workshop you can apply the same techniques learned to convert art created by hand or in other programs into flowing textile repeats that are ready to be sent to product manufacturers, textile mills, or ready to be sold as your digital art online.
Learn how to install the plugin and get comfortable in Adobe Textile Designer. Ludmila will provide you with her templates, artwork, and resources to take with you and continue practicing at home.
Bring your laptop to this workshop and participate in the hands-on experimentation.
Summary of the workshop:
- Download & Install the plugin extension
- Create a simple grid repeat using the extension
- Create a half-drop repeat using the extension
- Reduce colors using the extension
- All registered participants will receive instructions on how to install the plugin into Photoshop before coming to the workshop.
- Receive tips on what type of artwork to prepare, how to clean it up and bring to the workshop.
Due to this pre workshop prep-work it is recommended to register as soon as possible and no later as two days prior, to have enough time to prepare your laptop. Anyone who would like to audit and come without their laptop is welcome, but please be aware that we will not have any computers on site.
Here is what we will cover during our workshop:
- Learn to access and use the extension. Create a simple grid repeat using the extension. Get comfortable with the terminology and overwhelming choices by narrowing it down to what you need.
- Create a half-drop repeat using the extension. Experiment with layout options in the extension.
- Experiment with the extension's color way module to reduce colors in your design.